York Road, Gilling East, York YO62 4HP
Tel: 01439 766873
St Laurence’s Abbey, Ampleforth
Rev Matthew Burns OSB
Holy days: 7.30pm
Access only (ramps, etc)
Loop system for hearing-aid users
There were Catholics at Gilling and monk chaplains in the castle from the mid-17th Century. When Fr Bolton moved to Ampleforth, Mass at Gilling ceased (except for a time in the 1860s) until it returned to the castle with the school in 1930. From Advent 1950, the village school (c 1850) became the present chapel. It was extended in around 1960.