St John’s Priory, 151A Long Street, Easingwold, York YO61 3JB
Tel: 01347 821295
Fax: 01347 823524
Very Rev Leo Chamberlain, OSB MA
Sunday: Saturday evening 5.45pm, Sunday 10.30am
Holy days and weekdays: Please check parish website
Please check times by telephone if visiting, or see the website or parish bulletin for the week, which is available in the church porch.
Full access facilities for wheelchairs (access plus disabled toilet)
Loop system for hearing-aid users
Finance Committee, Parish Forum, Liturgy and Church Refurbishment Group, Charities Group, CWL, St Stephen’s Guild, St Teresa’s Guild, SVP.
St Monica’s Hospital, Cheshire Home Alne, Oaktrees Home Alne.
There were Catholic families in the area from 1700 or earlier. The Salvins had a chaplain in Easingwold, but the present parish descends from Newburgh (Bellasis) via chapels at Angram, Crayke, Oulston. The house was built before the church, opened in 1833, the first church designed by architect Joseph Aloysius Hansom. Sisters of Mercy from Rouen ran a school from 1905-48 on Long Street, which is now flats. Nearly all missioners were monks. The future Archbishop Ullathorn, whose grandfather ran a draper’s shop in the town, supplied for a time in 1833.